Efficient Study Strategies and Test Preparation Tips
The Advising and Academic Support Center offers a test success workshop, where students will learn about strategies for test preparation, test-taking tips, and how to approach specific types of test questions. Students will walk away with a step-by-step study plan for upcoming tests.
Access AASC’s Test Success Workshop:
Test Success Workshop Summary
Getting Prepared For Tests
- Attend class daily
- Keep up with reading/assignments
- Take good notes
- Review daily
Find out what’s on the test.
- Ask professors/Teaching Assistants or consult your syllabi
- What types of questions?
- How many questions?
- How is the test graded? Are there weighted sections/questions?
- Use this information to inform your study plan
Important Study Skills
- View our list of top study skills
General Test Guidelines
- Review past tests
- Allocate time wisely
- Answer easy questions first
- Write down memory prompts
- Use margins/back of test to write down formulas, definitions, etc.
Strategies for Specific Questions
- Multiple Choice
- Cover up choices and answer questions mentally and eliminate wrong answers
- Pay attention to conditional vs. unconditional words
- never, always, ever vs. usually, sometimes, generally
- Don’t look for patterns, look for exceptions
- Short Answer and Essay
- Try to anticipate
- Turn question/prompt into a main idea
- Circle guide words
- Study electronically
- Know the rules
- Work out the logistics, including where you’ll take the test and having a reliable internet connection
- How to set up a peer study group
- 7-Day Study Guide